This policy was originally formulated in November 2006 and applies to all staff and children during school hours, break times, and on all school-related activities.
The rules for National Schools (121(4) and 124(1)) oblige teachers to take all reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of pupils and to participate in supervising pupils during school time and during all school-related activities.
Legislation such as the Health, Safety & Welfare at Work Act and recent Court judgements have placed a “duty of care” and an accountability on schools that must be underpinned by a policy covering all possible eventualities.
Relationship to the Characteristic Ethos of the School
This policy is in keeping with the school ethos of providing a safe and secure environment for learning for all pupils and the wider school community.
Aims and Objectives
- To develop a framework that effectively ensures, as far as is practicable, the safety of children while at play in the yard or while engaged in school-related activities.
- To observe and monitor behavioural patterns.
- To contribute to effective school management and comply with relevant legislation.
- It is the policy of the school to supervise the school yard at all times during regular lunch breaks (i.e.: 10.30am to 10.45am and 12.45pm to 1.15pm). Teachers assume a duty of care at 8.50am. The Board of Management informs parents that the school does not accept responsibility for pupils dropped off earlier than 8.50am.
- A rota for supervision is drawn up by a post-holder in conjunction with the Principal & staff and is displayed on the staff room notice board.
- Rules of the school yard are reviewed and revised continually and communicated to children regularly.
- Three seperate yards are used and yard times are determined by the fact that yards are shared with the Junior School.